Forum Posts - Ecclesiastical History

Thread: Skerry Roman Catholic church

Posts per page:
1 of 2
04 June 2012 - 09:53:52

Skerry Roman Catholic church

I am tracing  a baptismal record trying to locate a R C  church in 1851 . Looking for it's name, history and especially where it was located. I am  hoping this will lead to any information that may asssist in my location of past relatives either McMullan Or Glasgow. in Glenravel (Skerry) pre 1851.

Name : Ann McMullan

Bapti: 13 July 1851

Parish/district Glenravel (Skerry)

Parents: George McMullan and Ann Glascow, ( his parents are John McMullan a farmer and Margaret?, her parents are William Glasgow a laborer and Helen ? 

Denomination: R C

Sponsors: Patrick McKendry and Chaarlotte Wilton

Priest : Rev E. OConnor 020 

JamesMcMillan Joined - 02/06/2012 Posts: 2
16 February 2013 - 05:09:03

Re: Skerry Roman Catholic church

I found George and Ann Mc Mullan in the 1851 census  they lived in Killyree townland.

I also found William and Ellen Glasgow they lived in Cloughgaldenagh townland

Both these townlands are close to Clough village.

I will email details to you.

-- 20/02/2013 04:21:06: post edited by seamus.

seamus Joined - 17/05/2011 Posts: 1 Moderator
24 February 2013 - 08:58:29

I don't see an answer to your post that locates this church and have recently been trying to find the location of teh Glenravel R.C. Church (Skerry) myself. 

On sheet 29 of the Ordnance Survey maps from the 1820s, I found a R.C. chapel located in the townland of Carrowcowan which is just southeast of Newtown Crommelin.  I compared that with a modern map and the location seems to be where Glens Brae Rd crosses into Carrowcowan from Gortnageeragh.  Could that have been known as the Glenravel R.C. Church?

I did not see the cemetery on the map but I presume that it must have been now far away.

johnca Joined - 24/02/2013 Posts: 2
26 February 2013 - 06:46:39

The present Glenravel CaholicChurch is on the main Cushendall Rd.  out of Ballymena, maybe 9 mies on the right hand side  going towards Cushendall,about 1 mile past Martinstown. The graveyard is beside it,and the site of the original Church is very close down beside the river, marked by a memorial stone.

Moira Joined - 26/02/2013 Posts: 2
26 February 2013 - 07:14:00

sorry, not good on the phone touch pad, my last post should have been ' Glenravel Catholic Church'

Moira Joined - 26/02/2013 Posts: 2
28 July 2013 - 02:05:55

Hi everyone 

i am looking for some help to find some information for my family tree. My O'Raw family originated from the Glenravel area 

Mary O'Raw is listed on the 1851 census as having died in the autumn of 1849

Her daughter Margaret O'Raw is listed as having died in the autumn of 1846 in child birth (i do not know if the child survived)

Her son hugh is listed as the head of the household but i also have an extract from The Ballymena Observer regarding the death of Mr Hugh O'Raw in 1888 and i would like to find out if this is my ancestor from the 1851 census 

this is my brick wall that i would love to get through if anyone in the area could help me or point me in the correct direction i would really appreciate your help

linda

lindileo Joined - 27/07/2013 Posts: 1
06 August 2013 - 03:36:51

Linda if you send an email to Susan Gingras ( lknhousemaster@aol.com ) she will get you a connection to a very good site she has compiled containing an amazing amount of information on Glenravel Family Trees with very good coverage of the O'Raw's. Colm  

waterfarm Joined - 18/05/2011 Posts: 4 Moderator
14 May 2014 - 11:56:35

Originally posted by lindileo

Hi everyone 

i am looking for some help to find some information for my family tree. My O'Raw family originated from the Glenravel area 

Her daughter Margaret O'Raw is listed as having died in the autumn of 1846 in child birth (i do not know if the child survived)

Her son hugh is listed as the head of the household but i also have an extract from The Ballymena Observer regarding the death of Mr Hugh O'Raw in 1888 and i would like to find out if this is my ancestor from the 1851 census 

this is my brick wall that i would love to get through if anyone in the area could help me or point me in the correct direction i would really appreciate your help

linda

LINDA,  Might help might not but My gr gr Grandparents Geo McMullen (McMillan) and Ann Glasgow wed May 1851 Ballymena had a child William b: 3 July 1853 and Baptised R.C. in Glenravel (skerry)  . The 2 listed sponsors on his birth certificate are Bridget McAllister and JOHN O'RAW.. Hope it helps and if you recognize any of the other names I would appreciate your input since I can't seem to get beyond them.  hope it helps   JIM

JamesMcMillan Joined - 02/06/2012 Posts: 2
23 April 2015 - 05:25:21

Originally posted by lindileo

Hi everyone 

linda

twoodward8071 Joined - 22/04/2015 Posts: 2
23 April 2015 - 05:33:42

The Ulster Foundation did some research for me about 15 years ago. I have a list of Duffin surnames that contain the Husband/Wife/Child/Townland/Birth/and Sponsors

I noticed a Hugh O'Raw and Rose McKeown as sponsors for Henry Duffin and Isabella McKeown's son James Duffin. Son James was baptized 1 Jul 1833 in Craigsdunboy. 

twoodward8071 Joined - 22/04/2015 Posts: 2