Forum Posts - Railways and Mines

Thread: Miners

Posts per page:
1 of 1
25 February 2012 - 09:56:41

Miners

Trying to contact Anne Rector (Canada) whose ancestor Hugh Gillespie, originally from Cargan, worked in the iron ore mines. We communicated some years ago but have lost contact.

Also anybody else out there whose ancestors were miners in Glenravel late 1800's - early 1900's and who may have emigrated.

Kevin

-- 25/02/2012 10:00:15: post edited by kevin.

kevin Joined - 18/05/2011 Posts: 3
11 March 2012 - 06:05:32

Re: Miners

Hi Kevin,i am a direct decendant of the Gillespie family of Glenravel,my Grandfather was Hugh Gillespie born 1885 and died on the battlefields of WW1 at Ypres 1915 and is buried just outside that town.

Hugh was married to Margaret and there were four children,my Grandma emigrated to Perth Western Australia some years after her husband was killed in action.

Don't hesitate to make contact if you require any more information.

Best wishes Ron GIllespie.

rongillespie Joined - 11/03/2012 Posts: 2
20 March 2012 - 10:44:39

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the info. The Hugh Gillespie I was referring to was working in the mines in 1887 so he's not your grandfather (born you say 1885). Could he be your great grandfather? Do you know anything about him?

Kevin

08 April 2012 - 06:35:29

Hi Kevin,sorry to take so long with the reply,my Great Grandfather was born in 1860 and he also worked in the mines in that area,sorry i don't have much info on the family line,my family is the same one as the the lady Annie from Canada that you are trying to contact.

My Grandfather (Hugh) and her Grandmother were brother and sister,if you haven't been able to contact her let me know as i have been able to get her latest email address,i also advised her that you had been posting messages on the Glenravel site.

Best wishes,Ron Gillespie.

rongillespie Joined - 11/03/2012 Posts: 2
27 September 2012 - 07:37:20

Hi, I found this post on a google search. I'm also researching this family for a friend  Hugh and Ellen Gillespie had a son named Samuel who married Agnes McGovern, this is the line we are researching any help would be appreciated, also are there any photographs of the Gillespie family?

all the best

elizabeth

Elizabethdunn Joined - 27/09/2012 Posts: 2
29 September 2012 - 03:40:10

Elizabeth, I have a photo sent to me some years ago by Anne Rector which she said was Hugh Gillespie and family. I don't know where or when it was taken. I don't have it in this PC so I'll have to go and find it but I don't know anything more about the family.

30 September 2012 - 08:48:21

That would be fantastic to see if you can find it, my email is elizabethdunn2008@hotmail.co.uk, do you have any contact details for Anne?

all the best

elizabeth

elizabethdunn Joined - 27/09/2012 Posts: 2
06 January 2013 - 10:27:23

Originally posted by kevin

Trying to contact Anne Rector (Canada) whose ancestor Hugh Gillespie, originally from Cargan, worked in the iron ore mines. We communicated some years ago but have lost contact.

Also anybody else out there whose ancestors were miners in Glenravel late 1800's - early 1900's and who may have emigrated.

Kevin

-- 25/02/2012 10:00:15: post edited by kevin.

Hi Kevin, it is indeed Anne Rector here (junior) in Canada... and yes, Ron Gillespie is my second cousin. You had corresponded with me and with my Mum about my great grandfather, Hugh Gillespie, who was a miner working a good seam at one of the mines, and living in Fishertown. I would love to chat again and invite you to email me at rectory@lks.net  We have since found Hugh's baptism next door in Loughguile Parish. We knew he was born circa 1860, and it turns out he was baptised in 1858. Do get i touch Kevin, I look forward to hearing from you.

Meantime, Cheers, and may you enjoy a wonderfully happy and healthy New Year. Anne

anneelspethrector Joined - 06/01/2013 Posts: 1
Thread Closed This thread has been closed